Thread: tilt front end and wench

Standard

any ideas on how to do this? install a winch with a tilt front end.

can be done, but you need to be pretty good at geometry, and handy to a machine shop. Did you ever see a buick estate wagon, appx 1987-89? you lift the front about a foot then tilt the whole thing forward to open. You really gotta see one to figure out what I'm sayin, but in my head, I can see the whole thing working. The grille holds down with standard CJ latches, it unhooks, and lifts and pivots forward over top of the winch, then you lift the back of the hood(hooked by hummer H1 rubber latches)and tilt it forward out of the way. Just a complex,complicated solution to a fairly simple problem, but cool nonetheless! someone here should be able to tell you the easy way, though. How's about it justin?
    1994 grand cherokee 4.0 bone stock daily driver with NO TOW HOOKS
    1950 CJ3A 63 horsepower 4 cylinder go devil (kermit)( not for sale ever)
    1990 Grand Wagoneer thanks Rick!(sold to Bob)(bought back minus axles)
    1981 CJ5 (new driver)(sold to J.B.)(Now red)
    1998 TJ 2.5(the beginning)(sold to C.P.)
    "Keep thine eye on the tach and thine ear on the engine lest the whirlybits seek communion with the sun"

My solution, uh, riiight, I have a mental picture, but when i am building things its usually an engineer as i go type deal. i do know what you are sayin tho j-bird.
    nothing to see here!

85 cj7 trail rig:SOA, yj springs, 350 efi chevy eng. 700r4 trans.Dana 300, ford d60's w/ 5.13's arbs, 40" creepy crawler comp stickies on allied rock a thon double beadlocks ,oba

'11 CTD bighorn tow pig

Could you do it this way? Mount the winch as far forward the bumper as possible, with the front of the plate on superstrong hinged tabs, the rear connected with 5/8" pins thru tab/ears. You figure out the wireing mess, (maybe Q.D. plugs). Unplug, unpin, then fold winch over the bumper.
    If you can't keep it in one piece, at least keep all the pieces.

HRJA CHARTER MEMBER 00-20 jeepfreak's Avatar

Tilt it back like a standard hood!
    tilting forward can be done using a multipule hinge method ,but imo just too much hassle!
    "I know nothing! I see nothing!"

IN PROGRESS,1982 CJ-8 AFW FRAME,ENGINE TO BE DETERMINED EITHER A AMC 401,GEN 1 350 OR 383 CHEVY , TH400/DANA 300 ,AJ'S CJ-8 GLASS BODY ,CUSTOM REVERSE SHACKLE WITH FULL SIZE WAGGIE SPRING ( ABOUT 6" LIFT) DANA 44 FT AXLE,GM 12 BOLT REAR WITH 4.10 GEARS

Oh yeah, now that you mention it i have seen that b4 screw all the technical engineering that is a much better way
    nothing to see here!

85 cj7 trail rig:SOA, yj springs, 350 efi chevy eng. 700r4 trans.Dana 300, ford d60's w/ 5.13's arbs, 40" creepy crawler comp stickies on allied rock a thon double beadlocks ,oba

'11 CTD bighorn tow pig

Thread Information